Advising and Teaching
Please contact Dr. Melissa Mazan, Interim Associate Dean for Professional Education about any of the volunteer opportunities listed below.
- Tufts Veterinary Orientation Program (Dr. Lois Wetmore)
Facilitate for the whole day at the beginning of the semester; must complete facilitator training for 2 hours the day before; Year 1 students
- First Year Student Advising Program (Chad Argotsinger & Linda Mayo)
You will join with one or two faculty members and part of an advising group of 8-10 students. Groups meet twice a semester during Student Advising Weeks. Call for volunteers issued in July and starts in August of each year.
- Case Based Learning (CBL) 1 (Dr. Melissa Mazan)
Facilitating team-based learning sessions with small groups of Year 1 students
- Communications Training (Dr. Julia Wilkinson)
Communications training for students (commitment of 1 or 1.5 days); must be trained ahead of time (training provided); dates in fall and spring; Year 1-3 students
- Spay/Neuter surgical instruction in the Lerner Clinic (Dr. Emily McCobb)
Opportunities in the third-year core course and Community Cat Clinics on Sundays
- Dentistry Week (Dr. Yuki Nakayama & Kate Zukowski, CVT, VTS)
For those interested in dentistry. Two to four full days of hands-on small animal dentistry teaching during Dentistry Week, which is scheduled in late February or early March; Year 3 students
- Structured Coaching of clinical-year students (Dr. Melissa Mazan)
On an as-needed basis; usually two 2-hour one-on-one sessions working with a student on history-taking, presentation of cases, or clinical reasoning; Year 4 students
- Business/practice management clinical elective organized by Dr. Daphne Flessas, V96
Students will do a two-week clinical elective and receive instruction on practice management.
- Externship sites
The need for externship sites is ongoing during the pandemic. Learn more about the program and safety protocols in place and complete the externship site form if you're interested in hosting a student.
- Selective sites
The goal of these pre-clinical experiences are to provide students with an opportunity to personalize their educational process. Learn more about the program and complete the selective site form if you're interested in hosting a student.