Squirrels: Did You Know?
These furry creatures are prevalent throughout Massachusetts, but not everywhere. Here are some facts about these athletic gatherers.
- There are over 200 squirrel species in the world, but they do not reside in either Australia, Antarctica, or New Zealand.
- Black squirrels are not a separate species, simply melanistic forms of other squirrel species (most commonly Eastern Gray Squirrels and Fox Squirrels).
- Eastern Gray Squirrels are invasive to Europe and are threatening the native population of Red Squirrels.
- There are three types of squirrels in the Scuridae family; tree, ground, and flying squirrels.
- The smallest squirrel species is the African Pygmy Squirrel, which is 5" from nose to tail.
Melissa Woodman is a veterinary technician III at the Henry and Lois Foster Hospital for Small Animals at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.