Eliminate barriers to student admission applications and increase rates of matriculation
Students are drawn to an environment that fosters a welcoming and inclusive culture and where they can relate to the faculty and staff. To attract a diverse applicant pool, Cummings School has implemented these proactive initiatives to break down barriers critical to making a Tufts education possible and appealing for a broad range of students:
- Cummings School’s participation in the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) increases our reach nationally and internationally for prospective veterinary students and creates an efficient application process consistent national best practices.
- The elimination of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) as an admissions requirement and in consideration during our admissions process.
- Admitted Students Day provides DVM students with an opportunity to experience firsthand the culture of Cummings School for a day and see all that it has to offer.
- Open House for Graduate MS programs where prospective students network with current graduate students, faculty and alumni and learn about financing, housing, campus climate, and living in central Massachusetts. Information sessions via Skype, WebEx or phone are also available for those unable to attend in person.
- Increasing scholarship funds so we may offer competitive financial aid packages to accepted students.
- Expanding our loan repayment assistance for graduates in public sector and not-for-profit employment.
- Reducing interest rates on Institutional Loans for our students.
- Educating students about external funding sources and alternative financing approaches.
- Monitoring student retention rates and actively working to support academic excellence in our student body.
- Campus-wide, Annual Open House welcomes hundreds of visitors, including prospective students for DVM and graduate programs. The admissions office staffs an information booth and conducts presentations and Q&A sessions.
- Cummings Hosts International is a campus-run program that focuses on creating a welcoming environment for international visitors and hosting events that celebrate diverse cultural traditions.