Financial Aid for International Students

Federal student aid programs are available to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.  International students may determine their eligibility for federal student aid. There are several eligible noncitizen categories, the most common is that of permanent resident.

Students who are not eligible for federal student aid may borrow private educational loans, also known as alternative loans. Unlike scholarship or grant funding, loans require repayment.  Private loans are sometimes the most costly type of educational financing. First and foremost, students are encouraged to explore their family’s ability to help pay for school, seek outside scholarships as well as the availability of other favorable financial aid programs available in their home country.

International students applying for a private loan in the U.S.  are typically required to apply with a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Private loans are credit-based and therefore, the loan’s approval and its interest rate will be contingent on the student’s and co-borrower’s credit history and ability to repay the loan.

International students enrolled in the DVM program may apply for need-based institutional aid for their 2nd and consecutive years of veterinary school. Institutional aid will only cover a portion of the cost of attendance. Private loans may be used to bridge the gap that remains between the cost of attendance and any financial aid a student has been awarded.

Students enrolling in MS Graduate programs are not eligible to apply for institutional aid.

International students are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office to discuss and compare their financial aid options.      

Helpful Resources for International Students