Farm and Fiber Service Surgeries
We specialize in soft tissue, orthopedic, and abdominal surgery providing owners, veterinarians and trainers with exceptional service. Our surgery services are led by board-certified surgeons who are leaders in their field and renowned for their skills and development of innovative procedures, techniques and advances in surgery. We are fully equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and an anesthesia service supported by board- certified specialists, allowing us to carry out the latest and most advanced surgical procedures resulting in faster recovery times for your animal.
All surgeries requiring general anesthesia are supported by our dedicated team of board-certified anesthesiologists providing a safe and optimal experience specifically tailored to each animal’s needs and utilizing the latest monitoring equipment to oversee each patient before, during and after surgery.
We routinely manage complex surgical cases in collaboration with our other on-site specialists in cardiology, radiology, pathology, ultrasonography and ophthalmology providing a multidisciplinary approach and the highest standard of exceptional care in a single location.
- Fracture Repair
- Laceration Repair and Wound Management:
- Injuries in farm and fiber patients pose a variety of challenges. Many injuries are complex and involve not the just skin but underlying tendons, ligaments and joints. We are prepared to comprehensively evaluate and treat the full spectrum of injuries both acute and chronic.
- Medical and Surgical Oncology:
- Farm and fiber animals are at risk for a variety of types of cancer. Depending on the case, a number of medical and surgical options may be utilized to enhance the outcome when managing tumors in these species.
- Hernias can be congenital and present at birth or develop later in life due to trauma. Some of these cases are able to be quickly resolved with a direct sutured repair while larger more complex cases may require advanced techniques such as the use of mesh implants. Following an evaluation, a recommendation as to the available options can be made.
- Acute Abdominal Surgery and Elective Abdominal Exploration:
- We are prepared to provide emergency abdominal surgery 24 hours a day for animals showing signs of colic which do not respond to medical management. In addition, elective abdominal explorations can also be performed in cases such as chronic weight loss when routine diagnostics have not been able to identify the underlying cause.
- Routine Castration and Cryptorchidectomy:
- Castration is one of the most commonly performed surgeries for the management of behavior and to prevent unwanted pregnancies in herd mates. A full range of castration procedures are available to meet your animal’s needs and may be performed in the operating room to allow for primary skin closure to minimize the chance of infection.
- Routine ovariectomy can be performed on a medically necessary basis for farm and fiber animals.
- Cystotomy: Bladder Stone Removal
- Bladder stones are a common problem in many farm and fiber species that can be fatal once they form. Typical symptoms range from blood in the urine to complete blockage of the urinary tract. In most cases surgery is required to remove the stone and correct the obstruction.