Request an Ultrasound Appointment
To make an appointment or learn more about our specialized services, please call 508-839-7926 or email us at HLA@tufts.edu with the following information:
- Owner Name
- Patient Name
- Owner’s Email
- Owner’s Phone
- Referring Veterinarian
One of our client service representatives will call you to schedule your appointment. Please note emails are monitored Monday through Friday during our normal business hours.
If this is an urgent issue and it is outside our normal business hours, please call our emergency number at 508-839-7926
Preparing for the Appointment
- Please call the Ultrasound Liaison, at 508-948-7695 to coordinate any specific needs for your appointment.
- Please bring copies of any imaging or lab work you may have had done prior to the appointment.
- Please discuss with your veterinarian if medications such as antibiotics or anti-inflammatories should be stopped in advance of the appointment.
Arriving at the Hospital
- Please park in the client lot in front of the Hospital for Large Animals. Trailer space is available. Individual cars can park in the designated visitor parking areas.
- Please check in with our front desk before unloading.
- During your visit, you will work with a faculty clinician, veterinary assistant and senior student. One of our team members will greet you and record a brief history.
- You are encouraged to observe these procedures so we can answer any questions you may have about our findings during the examination.
- The area of the patient that will have ultrasound imaging is often clipped to provide a better image.
- Patient’s may be administered sedation during appointment to facilitate ultrasound.
Staying in the Hospital
- If you anticipate that your animal will remain in the hospital for an extended stay please supply feed instructions.
- The hospital carries a variety of Nutrena grain products as well as high quality grass/timothy mixed hay.
- If your animal has specific dietary requirement or has daily supplements, we request each feeding be packaged into labeled individual portions in amounts estimated for the hospital stay. We cannot return unused supplies of feed.
- If you have questions regarding feed, please contact a staff member.
- Prior to arrival, please check with hospital staff about bringing medications. Only medications that are not available in our pharmacy may be left behind during your animal’s stay.
- The hospital stays relatively warm at night, even during the winter months. We provide blankets and wraps as needed.
- If your animal requires additional diagnostics, the Hospital for Large Animals offers consultations with other specialty services.
- If you cannot attend your animal’s appointment, you can speak with the attending clinician in person or over the phone after the appointment.
Discharging from the Hospital
You may purchase medications and bandaging materials from our pharmacy. Copies of diagnostic images are available upon request. Your referring veterinarian will be provided with continued communications, as well as a copy of the discharge summary.
- You will receive a report that summarizes the evaluation, findings, diagnostic results and treatment recommendations.
- The discharge summary can be sent electronically (please provide our front desk staff with updated contact information).
- At time of discharge, you will receive a report that summarizes the evaluation, findings, diagnostic results and treatment recommendations.
- Please limit personal items as storage space is limited. Please be sure all personal items are taken at time of discharge. The Hospital for Large Animals cannot be responsible for lost items and any perishables will be discarded.
- Unused Medications: Unfortunately, cannot be returned.
Scheduling an Appointment
Appointments can be made by calling 508- 948-7695 between 8:00am - 4:00pm. If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, please call us to re-schedule.
Payment in full is expected at the time of discharge. For those animals that will be hospitalized, you will be provided an estimate in writing and are expected to leave a deposit of 75% of the estimate. Care Credit financing is available and hospital staff can assist you with the application process.
- Weekdays: 11:00 am to 7:00 pm | Weekends: 1:00 pm to 4:00pm | Holidays: 1:00pm to 4:00pm
- We request that you stay with your animal. No food or drinks are permitted in the hospital wards. Feel free to visit Elm's Café on campus which is open until 3pm weekdays.