Tufts Discovery Pathology is dedicated to helping industry and academic clients gain the most information possible from animal models to support drug discovery and biomedical research. Our ACVP-certified pathologists provide research project support to pharmaceutical and start-up companies. With a focus on discovery and early state pre-clinical trials, our work spans the entire research process, beginning with planning, preparation of grants, implementation, through the evaluation of results.
Tufts full-service histology laboratory with complete molecular pathology capabilities, including routine and special stains, light and fluorescence immunohistochemistry (IHC), and in situ hybridization (ISH). With specialized expertise in IHC, our technical team can validate new antibodies and targets as well as perform high-throughput assays for larger projects. To support drug discovery we can pellet cultured cell lines for molecular phenotyping, and perform detailed analyses of xenografts in mouse models, including proliferation and apoptosis kinetics, and biomarker characterization. In collaboration with the Comparative Pathology Core at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, we also can meet your electron microscopy needs, both TEM or SEM.
We work with scientists every step of the way, providing real time feedback on research projects and suggestions for improvement. Our reports have been used to support a wide array of successful Investigational New Drug (IND) applications submitted to the FDA. Because we focus on discovery and perform biomedical research ourselves, we bring a scientific depth and rigor that is not routinely found in larger contract research organizations (CRO’s). With dozens of satisfied clients, most of them early and mid-stage biopharmaceutical companies, we welcome the opportunity to provide references upon request.
Biopsy, Autopsy, Discovery Pathology Services
- All routine histology services with rapid turnaround: processing of surgical specimens from detailed gross examination to interpretation of finished Hematoxylin & Eosin slides
- Full autopsy service/dissection of laboratory animals
- Special staining panels reflexively performed on certain specimens (e.g., liver biopsies routinely include copper and Sirius Red staining; kidney biopsies are cut thin (three microns) and include Periodic Acid Schiff and Jones’s Silver staining)
- Frozen sectioning of fresh tissue samples
- Immunohistochemistry optimized on canine and feline tissue, with select antibodies optimized on avian, murine, and equine tissues (optimization runs performed at reduced prices).
- Processing of fixed tissues (formalin, paraformaldehyde)
- Paraffin embedding
- High-quality slide production from paraffin-embedded tissue, routinely at 5 microns
- Unstained tissue sections mounted on positively-charged slides
- Routine Hematoxylin & Eosin staining, as well as special stain techniques
- Microscopic interpretation of results by board-certified pathologists.
- Finished slides packaged in plastic slide boxes at no extra charge.
You can learn more about our pricing for Discovery Pathology services in support of your research efforts