Veterinary Technician and Assistant Externships
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University will be offering a variety of externship opportunities this summer (June - August) for veterinary technicians and assistants at Foster Hospital for Small Animals and Hospital for Large Animals.
Externships are offered within specific concentrations to allow externs to fully immerse themselves in one of the many specialties available. You’ll be in the trenches with our talented veterinary technicians, house officers, and faculty clinicians, helping to treat the 30,000+ patients that pass through our doors each year. If you’ve ever wondered if specialty practice is for you, we encourage you to apply.
|Exclusively Small Animal||Mixed Practice||Exclusively Large Animal|
|Avian/Exotic (ZCAM) (Summer only)||Anesthesia||Internal Medicine|
|Emergency & Critical Care||Cardiology||Nursing/Emergency|
|Inpatient Medicine (Wards)||Neurology||Surgery|
You must be:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited veterinary technician or veterinary assistant program.
- Non-technician, equine-related majors will be considered for exclusively large animal concentrations only.
- At this time, we are not able to accept applicants from online-only academic programs.
- 18+ years old at the start of your externship.
- Can extern for 35 hours per week, with a minimum commitment of 3 weeks (105 hours).
- Provide your own transportation and housing.
- Have liability insurance provided by your academic institution.
- If your institution does not provide liability insurance, you may still apply for an externship. However, if accepted, your externship will be observational only, with no patient contact permitted.
- Have received all required immunizations by the start of your externship. You can find our required immunizations online.
- Applications for summer externships (June-August) must be submitted by April 30. Decisions will be made by or before May 31.
- Applications for academic-year externships will be accepted on a rolling basis based on hospital service capacity.
- Applications are submitted online and must include the following:
- Resume or CV
- Letter of intent stating why you wish to complete an externship at Cummings School
- 2 professional or 1 academic letter(s) of recommendation
- Applicants will undergo an interview with the Hospital Technician Development Coordinator and a representative from the desired concentration/service. Interviews will be conducted remotely via Zoom.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact:
Mike Santasieri, BS, CVT, FFCP (Veterinary)
Pronouns: he, him, his
Hospital Technician Development Coordinator
Foster Hospital for Small Animals
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University
Attn: Mike Santasieri (HLA 1001J)
55 Willard Street
North Grafton, MA 01536
Pursuing an externship elsewhere? (We’d still love to connect!)
Looking for a job after graduation?
Check out our veterinary careers site to see open positions within our hospitals and clinics.