Cummings Support Center
The mission of the Cummings Support Center (CSC) is to create a positive environment to nurture and sustain the overall well-being of the Cummings School community. The CSC aims to assist students throughout their time at the Cummings School, including periods of critical transition and crisis, by providing support, guidance, and intervention (when necessary). Students are supported through the Student Academic Support Service, the Career Counseling Service, and Cummings Behavioral Health Service.
The CSC is conveniently located on Cummings School's Grafton campus on 6 Captain William O'Brien Road (next to the Alpha Psi house).
Student Academic Support Service
This service of the Academic Affairs Office provides a venue for addressing academic issues that commonly arise during the veterinary school experience, including difficulties related to course load, frustration regarding performance self- expectations, academic “burn out,” emotional stressors, or pre-existing mental health issues.
The service is designed to do the following:
- educate students on academic policy
- identify students who are at risk for academic difficulty
- provide supportive services to those students experiencing any level of academic distress in the format of tutoring and academic counseling
- monitor and track students with a history of academic difficulty
- identify students in emotional distress related to academic difficulty and refer them to appropriate counseling or support services
The counseling service provides traditional college counseling and referral services to the campus student body. Support is available by appointments, through walk-in consultation, and in any crises that may involve a student at the Cummings School.
This service offers the following:
- 24/7 telephonic counseling services
- confidential and free onsite counseling with licensed masters-level counselors
- short-term counseling and referrals to area practitioners
- small group and individual counseling sessions
To make an appointment to see a counselor call 800-756-3124. This number can also be used to reach a licensed counselor 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. To learn more about "what counseling is", visit here.
Career Counseling Service
Our service provides students with the opportunity to explore career options, to discuss a variety of career-related topics with members of the veterinary profession, and to engage professionals from a variety of areas of veterinary medicine. The Career Counseling Service is staffed primarily by faculty with assistance from alumni, and Massachusetts Veterinary Medicine Association (MVMA) member volunteers.
This service allows students to:
- learn about the professional expertise of featured veterinary mentors through Career Chats, panel discussions, networking events, and other activities
- meet with professionals from a variety of areas of veterinary medicine
- receive counseling in various topics not covered in conventional classroom discussions or clinic rotations, such as considering professional setting, managing loan payments, and establishing work-life balance
- talk with professionals about obtaining externships, internships and professional positions
- receive advice and feedback on writing resumes, CVs, personal statements and cover letters
- evaluate job offers, employment agreements and contracts
- look for opportunities via:
For more information about Career Counseling at the Cummings Support Center, please contact Gillian Kruskall, V14 at Gillian.Kruskall@tufts.edu or call: 508-887-4402.
Cummings Support Center
6 Captian Liam O'Brien Road
North Grafton, MA 01536
24 hours/day, 7 days/week
Gillian Kruskall, V14