Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search Open Directory Close Directory

Students with Disabilities

Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University is committed to providing support services and reasonable accommodations to students with documented disabilities. Those students requesting academic accommodations are required to provide current documentation, including test results, from a qualified professional. Documentation will be considered current if it is no more than five years old. It should be submitted as soon as possible prior to an academic term, as it may take several weeks for a request to be considered.

What Type of Documentation is Required?

A neuropsychological or psycho-educational assessment is required to evaluate students with learning disabilities and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). These batteries should include aptitude and achievement tests. Students with documented visual, hearing, or other disabilities are required to submit the most current evaluation from their medical provider.

The documentation should be current and include the following:

1. A clear statement of the disability including prognosis.

2. History, including the length of time practitioner has known you.

3. A summary of evaluation procedures, as well as diagnostic tests/evaluation results used to make the diagnosis.

4. A statement of the functional impact or limitations the disability has on learning.

5. Recommended accommodation(s), accompanied by an explanation of its relevance to the disability as well as supporting data from the evaluation.

In addition, students should provide copies of their K-12 IEP's and an explanation of college accommodations.

At the time documentation is submitted, the student should make an appointment to see the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs (508-839-8733) or the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (508-839-5302 X84294) to initiate the request process.

Note that, in some cases, updated documentation will be required in order to continue accommodations into a new academic period.

For more information please visit the OEO Reporting Resources page.