Evaluation of the effects of empagliflozin in cats with congestive heart failure secondary to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Heart disease is a very common problem in cats, with the most common form of feline heart disease being hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Heart disease can lead to significant complications, including congestive heart failure, severe blood clotting, and even sudden death. We are always looking for promising new medications to help treat this ongoing problem. Empagliflozin is a drug that has been shown to improve quality of life for human patients with heart failure. In the present study, we are looking for improvements in clinical signs and diagnostic measurements that occur with empagliflozin treatment in cats with heart failure. We are also looking to monitor for and describe any significant side effects associated with empagliflozin administration.
- >1 year of age
- Between 7 lb (3.13 kg) and 27 lb (12.5 kg)
- Diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Will also accept restrictive cardiomyopathy or non-specific cardiomyopathy (unless DCM or ARVC characteristics predominate)
- Diagnosis of new onset congestive heart failure
- <1 year of age
- Less than 7 lb (3.13 kg) or greater than 27 lb (12.5kg)
- Diagnosis of (or suspicion for) DCM or ARVC Diagnosis of concurrent hemodynamically significant cardiovascular disease other than the underlying cardiomyopathy (i.e. congenital defects, sustained arrhythmias with potential to result in additional cardiac remodeling)
- Stage C heart disease prior to arrival to Tufts
- Current (upon arrival to Tufts) and/or previous treatment with furosemide or other diuretics
- +/- confirmed diagnosis of congestive heart failure with imaging and response to diuretic treatment
- Beta-blocker treatment started within the last 6 months
- Significant concurrent systemic disease, including diabetes, hypertension, hyperthyroidism, CKD >IRIS Stage II, active or documented urinary tract infections, disease requiring immunosuppressive doses of corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive therapies
- Inability to consistently pill
- Inability to return for mandatory recheck appointments
Participation in the study will include free echocardiogram and cardiac blood parameter testing at the initial and recheck appointments. Additional costs covered include the 6 month supply of empagliflozin and any appointment fees associated with study-related recheck appointments.
Sample or Data Requirements
Blood pressure (x3)
Blood draw for complete blood count (x4), chemistry profile (x4), NT-proBNP (x3), cardiac troponin I (x3), serum amyloid A (x3), +/- Total T4 (x1), +/- additional serum for storage (x3)
For questions regarding the clinical trial please email firstname.lastname@example.org.