Neurology and Neurosurgery
Our Neurology & Neurosurgery Service provides care for patients with neurological disorders of the brain, inner ear, spinal cord and vertebrae, as well as diseases affecting muscles, nerves and the peripheral nervous system.
Life changed for Kyser in a heartbeat and it nearly broke his owner’s heart.
The Neurology and Neurosurgery Service at the Foster Hospital for Small Animals provides care for patients with neurological disorders of the brain, inner ear, spinal cord and vertebrae, as well as diseases affecting muscles, nerves and the peripheral nervous system.
Overseen by senior board-certified faculty member working with a team of neurology residents, the service treats both medical and surgical conditions. Our state-of-the art diagnostics and imaging modalities enhance our abilities to diagnose difficult and complex diseases. Specialized equipment includes a newly upgraded CT scanner and a powerful diagnostic MRI in New England.
The Neurology and Neurosurgery Service works cooperatively with other specialty services within the Foster Hospital for Small Animals, including emergency medicine, critical care, radiology, anesthesia, cardiology, oncology, internal medicine, surgery and ophthalmology. This team approach allows each patient to benefit from the collective experience of the entire health-care team, not just the primary care doctor.
- Cerebrospinal fluid collection and analysis
- Hearing test (BAER)
- Electro diagnostic studies: EMG, nerve conduction, F/H waves, repetitive stimulation
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- MR spectroscopy
- Brain tumor removal
- Foramen magnum decompression
- Head trauma
- Measurements of intracranial pressure
- Ventriculoperitoneal and cystoperitoneal shunt placing
- Brain biopsies
- Cervical and thoracolumbar hemilaminectomies
- Ventral slot procedure
- Cervical dorsal laminectomies for large breed dogs, dorsal laminectomies thoracolumbar and lumbosacral
- Tumor and arachnoid diverticulum removal
- Muscle and nerve biopsies
Areas of special interest
- Management of status epileptics, cluster seizures and refractory epileptic patients
- Myasthenia gravis
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Chronic spinal cord compression
- Brain tumors
- Diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory brain disorders