Philip A. March
Department of Clinical Sciences
DVM - The Ohio State University - 1985
MS - Texas A&M University - 1981
BA - Amherst College - 1977
ACVIM - Neurology
House Officer Training
- Rotating Small Animal Internship - Animal Medical Center, NYC - 1985-1986
- Neurology Residency - Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine - 1988-1991
- Epilepsy and treatment
- Encephalitis therapy
- Brain tumor diagnosis
- Magnetic resonance imaging and MR spectroscopy
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Core Veterinary Neurobiology (2nd year) - Course Director
- Core Clinical Neurology Rotation (senior year clinics) - Rotation Director
- Magnetic resonance imaging in brain tumor, stroke, and encephalitis diagnosis
- Neurodegenerative diseases, including degenerative myelopathy, age-related brain degeneration
Selected Research Projects
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy in the diagnosis of brain tumors
- Bentley RT, March PA. Bentley RT, March PA. Recurrent vestibular paroxysms associated with systemic hypertension in a dog. J Amer Vet Med Assoc, 2011; 239(5):652-655.
- March PA, Coates JR, Abyad R, Williams DA, O’Brien DP, Olby NJ, Keating JH, Oglesbee M. Degenerative myelopathy in 18 Pembroke Welsh Corgi Dogs. Vet Pathol, 2009; 46:241-259.
- Awano T, Johnson GC, Wade CM, Katz ML, Johnson GC, Taylor JF, Perloski M, Biagi T, Baranowska I, Long S, March PA, Olby NJ, Shelton GD, Khan S, O’Brien DP, Lindblad-Toh KA, Coates JR. Genome-wide association analysis reveals a SOD1 mutation in canine degenerative myelopathy that resembles amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci (PNAS), 2009; 106 (8): 2794-2799.
- Coates JR, March PA, Oglesbee M, Ruaux CG, Olby NJ, Berghaus RD, O’Brien DP, Keating JH, Johnson GS, Williams DA. Clinical characterization of a familial degenerative myelopathy in Pembroke Welsh Corgi dogs. J Vet Int Med, 2007; 21 (6):1323-1331.
- Byron JK, March PA, Chew DJ, DiBartola SP. Effect of phenylpropanolamine and pseudoephedrine on the urethral pressure profile and continence scores of incontinent female dogs. J Vet Int Med, 2007; 21 (1):47-53.