Armelle M. de Laforcade
Emergency and Critical Care
Department of Clinical Sciences
Phone: 508-839-5395 x84415
DVM - Tufts University - 1997
BS - Cornell University - 1993
General Research Interest
Coagulation changes in critical illness and in severe trauma; development of protocols for anticoagulant use in the veterinary setting; monitoring anticoagulation therapy; diagnosis and management of severe sepsis and septic shock; alterations in microvascular perfusion in trauma and in critical illness.
Selected Research Projects
- Evaluation of thromboelastography as a sensitive marker of coagulation abnormalities in sepsis.
- Evaluation of thromboelastography in dogs following severe trauma.
- Evaluating abdominal fluid cytology, biochemistry, and culture in dogs post-operatively following source control for abdominal sepsis.
Major Specialized Equipment Available
- ACL Elite hemostasis analyzer
- Multiplate aggregometer
- Microscan video microscope
- O'Marra SK, Shaw SP, de Laforcade AM. Investigating hypercoagulability in immune-mediated thrombocytopenia: a pilot study. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2012;22(1):126-130.
- O'Marra SK, de Laforcade AM, Shaw SP. Treatment and predictors of outcome in dogs with immune mediated thrombocytopenia. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011;238(3):346-52.
- Fenty R, de Laforcade AM, Shaw SP, et al. Identification of hypercoagulability in dogs with primary immune-mediated hemolytic anemia utilizing thromboelastography. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011; 238(4):463-467.
- Kenney EM, Rozanski EA, Rush JE, de Laforcade-Buress AM, Berg JR, Silverstein DC, Montealegre CD, Jutkowitz LA, Adamantos S, Ovbey DH, Boysen SR, Shaw SP. Association between outcome and organ system dysfunction in dogs with sepsis: 114 cases (2003-2007). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2010; 236:83-87.
- Streeter EM, Rozanski EA, de Laforcade-Buress AM, Freeman LM, Rush JE. Evaluation of Canine Vehicular Trauma: 239 Cases (January-December 2001). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2009; 235(4):405-8.
- Whelan MF, O'Toole TE, Chan DL, Rozanski EA, de Laforcade AM, Crawford SL, Cotter SM. Use of human immunoglobulin in addition to glucocorticoids for the initial treatment of dogs with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2009; 19(2):158-164.
- Amy V. Trow, Elizabeth A. Rozanski, de Laforcade AM, Daniel L. Chan. Evaluation of use of human albumin in critically ill dogs: 73 cases (2003-2006). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2008; 233:607-612.
- Roux FA, Deschamps JY, Blais MC, Welsh DM, de Laforcade-Buress AM, Rozanski EA. Multiple red cell transfusion in 27 cats (2003-2006): Indications, complications, and outcomes. J Fel Med Surg 2008; 10:213-218.
- de Laforcade AM, Rozanski E, Freeman L. Serial changes in protein C and antithrombin in dogs with sepsis. J Vet Intern Med 2008; 22:26-30.
- Jloyd JW, Fingland R, Arighi M, Thompson J, de Laforcade AM, McManus J. Satellite teaching hospitals and public-private collaborations in veterinary medical clinical education. J Vet Med Educ 2008; 35(1):43-47.