Mohammed S. Anwer
Associate Dean for Research
Department of Biomedical Sciences
Department of Molecular Physiology and Pharmacology
DMVH - Munich University - 1980
PhD - Kansas State University - 1973
MS - Dhaka University - 1968
Holly Jameson, Sr. Research Coordinator
Ariel Hobson, Research Technician
Sewon Park, Graduate Student
Christopher Schonhoff, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor
General Research Interest
Functional abnormalities associated with various liver diseases lead to accumulation of toxic products (such as bilirubin in jaundice and bile acids) in blood and premature death of liver cells. One of the major determinants is the inability of the liver to properly regulate bile acid transport from blood to bile. Studies are conducted to better understand the mechanisms regulating bile acid transport. Specifically, studies are designed to determine the role of various kinases and phosphatases in the regulation of bile acid transport using primary hepatocytes, hepatic cell lines and transgenic mice. Techniques used are cell culture, transfection of cell lines, solute uptake, western blots, protein phosphorylation, Protein S-nitrosylation, etc.
Research Sponsor Interest:
- Privately Funded Research
- Federally Funded Research
Selected Research Projects
- Role of protein kinase Cs in the regulation of hepatic transporters.
- Mechanism of taurolithocholate-induced cholestasis.
- Role of protein S-nitrosylation in sepsis-induced cholestasis.
- Mechanisms of anticholestatic effects of cAMP and tauroursodeoxycholate.
Research and Clinical Interests
- Hepatic diseases
Major Specialized Equipment Items Available
- Fluorescent spectrophotometers
- UV-VIS spectrophotometers
- Scintillation Counter
- Gel-Electrophoresis (1D & 2D) apparatus
- Film developer
- Cell culture facility
- Fluroescence microscope
- Ponzetti, K., King, M., Gates, A., Anwer, M.S., Webster, C.R.L.: Cyclic AMP-guanine exchange factor activation inhibits JNK-dependent lipopolysaccharide-induced apoptosis in rat hepatocytes. Hepatic Medicine: Evidence and Research 2: 1-11, 2010. PMCID:3131672
Schonhoff, C. M, Webster, C.R.L., Anwer, M.S.: Cyclic AMP stimulates MRP2 translocation by activating p38a MAPK in hepatic cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 298:G667-G674, 2010. PMCID: 20203059
Hohenester, S., Gates, A., Wimmer, R., Beuers, U., Anwer, M.S., Rust, C., Webster, C.R.L.: Phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase p110γ contributes to bile salt-induced apoptosis in primary rat hepatocytes and human hepatoma cells. J. Hepatol. 53: 918-926, 2010. PMCID: 20675006
Schonhoff, C.M., Ramasamy, U, Anwer, M.S.: Nitric Oxide-Mediated Inhibition of Taurocholate Uptake involves S-Nitrosylation of NTCP. Am. J. Physiol. 300:G364-G370, 2011. PMCID: 21109590
Johnston, A., Roberts, K., Anwer, M.S., Webster, C.R.L.: cAMP-guanine exchange factor protection from bile acid induced hepatocyte apoptosis involves glycogen synthase kinase regulation of C-Jun-NH terminal kinase. Am. J. Physiol. 301: G385-G400, 2011. PMCID: