Frequently Asked Questions in MAPP

How do I apply to the MS in Animals and Public Policy (MAPP) Program?

You must complete and submit the online application for admission and all required supporting documents by the required deadline. We encourage you to meet with our program director to find out more about the MAPP program and to help you determine whether the program is right for you. Please contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions about the application process.

Are there prerequisite courses I need to take?

All applicants are required to take one year (two semesters) of college level biology. Applicants should contact the Office of Admissions if they have any questions about course work or meeting this prerequisite.

I already have an advanced degree. Do I need to take the GRE?

Applicants do not need to take the GRE if they have completed a DVM, PhD, JD, MD or other doctoral degree. The GRE is required for applicants holding MA, MS or other masters level degree.

How many students are in the MAPP Program?

Typically nine to thirteen students enroll in the MAPP Program each year.

What is the student body like?

Diversity is the hallmark of MAPP students. They come from a wide variety of educational, professional and life experiences. They have worked or volunteered in an array of venues including animal shelters, veterinary clinics, research laboratories, farms, marine parks, and non-profit environmental and animal welfare organizations. Some enter the program directly out of college, while others are returning to graduate school after years in the work force. Each of our students brings to the program personal and professional experiences that enrich us all.

What are some of the career opportunities for MAPP graduates?

Graduates of the MAPP Program have pursued a variety of rewarding careers in academic, non-profit, corporate and government circles. More information can be found on the Career Opportunities page.

When are classes scheduled?

Classes are generally scheduled Monday through Thursday during the Fall and Spring semesters. Fridays and weekends typically are reserved for research and study, but special events (such as colloquiums and field trips) are occasionally held on those days as well.

What is the campus like?

The Center for Animals and Public Policy is located at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in Grafton, Ma. Just an hour from Boston, the Cummings School's hospitals, barns, and research and teaching facilities sit on a 594-acre campus that comprises a lovely mosaic of crop fields, pastures and woods. The campus has easy access to the Massachusetts Turnpike, local highways and commuter rail. This makes getting to the center, as well as in and out of Boston, very convenient. The  Agnes Varis Campus Center is a welcome enhancement to student life.

The Boston metropolitan area is a cultural hub of the east coast. Entertainment and social opportunities abound. More information on the local area can be found in the informal Field Guide to Grafton written and edited by Time Out Boston and the Worcester Magazine.

Where can I find help with housing?

Cummings School maintains a list of student housing options for current and incoming Tufts students. A username and password for searching the house listings can be obtained by emailing the summer housing coordinator at You can also check the online listings at the Worcester Telegram  or the Boston Globe.

Are there opportunities for work study?

Work study can be an excellent option for some. Work-study arrangements can be made by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

Is there an orientation?

The orientation for MAPP students usually occurs during the last week of August. The orientation offers an opportunity to meet classmates, faculty and staff, and deals with important matters such as security ids, parking permits, library services and computer network configuration. Attendance is mandatory for all incoming students.